Saturday, January 10, 2009

No soup for you!





The other day, I was at work earlier this week when I came across a recipe for a steak and potato soup. I think I was playing around on the different links on Yahoo! and thought that it sounded delish, so I had to give it a try. The best night for me to make it was last night, but I could have made it sooner since it was very easy and didn't take long to make. I modified the recipe a little bit, so to me, it was a Vegetable Beef soup. The recipe says that it yields 4 servings, but that's a lie. Dan and I each had a mug last night and I've had 2 bowls of it today (leftovers for lunch and dinner, no surprise) and there's still about 3 more servings left. So, you do the math!

Here's my own version...

What you need:
1 lb. beef for stew
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 large onion (if you know me, you know that I left that crap out!)
1 lb baking potatoes (peeled and cut into 1" chunks)
1/2 lb green beans (ends trimmed) {you could use canned beans if desired, but make sure to drain them first}
baby carrots (sliced) {it's up to you how much you want to put in}
1 can corn (drain first)
2 cups water
1 quart broth {32 oz for dummies like myself} (I used beef, but chicken would work too, I suppose)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp oil over moderately high heat. Add half of the steak and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned. Remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and the remaining half of the beef. Remove the beef and toss all of the beef with 1/4 tsp salt.



2. Reduce the heat to moderately low and add the final tbsp of oil to the pot. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent.


3. Add the potatoes, green beans, carrots, corn, water, broth, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot with a spoon to get the "good stuff" off the bottom. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Return the beef to the soup and stir in the Worcestershire sauce.



4. Let the beef get warm again, serve in your best soup mugs or soup bowls, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment